I've been asking myself this question for the past day and a half.
A Celtic pedagogy?
Really?
Our church was blessed with the resources and the good sense to invite John Philip Newell for a weekend of worship and prayerful conversation around... well, whatever he wanted to talk about. Lucky for us, he invited us to re-imagine and re-member ourselves intimately woven within the tapestry of God's creation, as vessels and bearers and expressions of a Longing that calls itself into the world and calls the world into itself.
He even tried to teach us to dance. Outside.
I found myself... finding myself, perhaps. And now I find myself trying to make sense of the rest of this fourth year of teaching and coaching at Episcopal High School, even as it unfolds before me.
What would it look like for me to live into my own essential questions -- starting with the one poster-tacked above my classroom door (from which this blog derives its name)?
Can I teach my way into an authentic translation of historical thinking, Reformed theology, Celtic spirituality, and whatever else I might find in my cupboard? And if I do manage to teach my way there -- can I teach from there, too?
Are there people out there who could help me become the kind of student and teacher and disciple I see to become?
What is school for?
A Celtic pedagogy?
Really?
Our church was blessed with the resources and the good sense to invite John Philip Newell for a weekend of worship and prayerful conversation around... well, whatever he wanted to talk about. Lucky for us, he invited us to re-imagine and re-member ourselves intimately woven within the tapestry of God's creation, as vessels and bearers and expressions of a Longing that calls itself into the world and calls the world into itself.
He even tried to teach us to dance. Outside.
I found myself... finding myself, perhaps. And now I find myself trying to make sense of the rest of this fourth year of teaching and coaching at Episcopal High School, even as it unfolds before me.
What would it look like for me to live into my own essential questions -- starting with the one poster-tacked above my classroom door (from which this blog derives its name)?
Can I teach my way into an authentic translation of historical thinking, Reformed theology, Celtic spirituality, and whatever else I might find in my cupboard? And if I do manage to teach my way there -- can I teach from there, too?
Are there people out there who could help me become the kind of student and teacher and disciple I see to become?
What is school for?
I am so psyched about a KMD blog. I just wanted to say that while I think about your comments.
ReplyDelete